School bus safety is an important topic, and one that finds itself in the headlines often – from onboard technology and student behavior to vehicle safety, driver training and beyond. But what about the students who walk to school, navigating busy roads just to get to their morning class? What measures are in place to help ensure they get to school safely and on-time?
Crossing guards are a vital part of your child’s commute
It’s easy to take crossing guards for granted, and sometimes we forget how important their job is.
With their fluorescent reflective vests and stop signs, crossing guards are instrumental in helping children get to and from school safely. If you are interested in hiring a crossing guard for an area near your school, contact your local police department or school board.
Schools, law enforcement, government planning departments, and community members may implement a crossing guard program as a group or separately.
Smartphones, smart cars, smart refrigerators – much of our technology is smart, and getting smarter all the time. Even our classrooms are using smart technology. One of the most innovative ideas to come to the classroom is the Smart Board, an interactive whiteboard that can do everything your computer does. Simply connect your PC to an overhead digital projector and a giant touch screen computer, or Smart Board, is literally at your fingertips.
1.) Register for SafeStop's Bus Tracker Service
Select your child’s school, verify pertinent security information, and complete your registration at SafeStop’s dedicated and secure website.
- To get started, visit SafeStopApp.com and click “Sign Up Now.”
- Enter your home ZIP code and click “Check Availability.” Select your child’s school from the list of active schools and districts in your area.
- Enter all of the required information on the “Account Activation” registration form. For security purposes, you will be required to enter a School Code or Student Identification Number. If you do not have this information, please contact your school or district’s administration office.
- If your route information does not appear on the next screen, or if it is incorrect, you can use our Route Lookup function on the right side of the screen to find your child’s appropriate bus route. You also have the ability to add your child(ren) on this screen before clicking the “Complete Registration” button. You will receive a confirmation email once you have successfully registered.
2.) Download SafeStop to your Phone or Device
Get peace of mind and a new level of convenience right at your fingertips. Download the SafeStop app to your favorite mobile device and stay connected to your child’s bus.
- Download SafeStop from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Login with the credentials you used during registration.
3.) Customize your App
Add routes, select multiple stops, and view the expected times for your child’s bus.
- Your SafeStop dashboard will be empty when you first login.
- Select your child’s route from the available list. To add stops, click or tap the “+” button associated with each stop your child will use. Repeat this process for each stop that you would like to add to your account dashboard.
Please Note: For safety concerns and to prevent abuse of service, additional route/stop selections may be placed under review before becoming active within your account. Additionally, your school may limit the amount of routes available to you based on the routes/stops associated with your child(ren). If you believe this is incorrect, please contact your school/district administration. You may also reach us directly via firstname.lastname@example.org and we can work with you to approve changes to your account.
The benefits of extracurricular activities are well-known. Kidshealth.org lists the physical, social, academic, and creative benefits. In addition, students learn time management as they balance their personal schedules.
Extracurricular activities keep students engaged — and parents sane
There is another less obvious benefit to signing your kids up for extracurricular activities: peace of mind. When your child is engaged in their activity of choice, you can rest easy knowing they are happy and doing something productive.
Many schools offer the standard fare of after-school doings — sports, cheerleading, choir, band, chess club, language clubs, etc. These classics are always fun, and if your child wants to branch out, you can always check out new and interesting extracurricular activities.
Throughout the United States, school districts are onboarding a GPS tracking device on every school bus in an effort to keep students safe and save money.
These days, a global positioning system (GPS) is seamlessly integrated into smartphones. While paper maps are nice, it is easier to check your phone for directions, estimated time of arrival, and traffic slowdowns along the way. School districts are beginning to take advantage of this technology for similar reasons.
At the start of this school year, Rutherford County schools in Tennessee equipped all 250 of their school buses with a GPS tracking device. The growing school district buses over 25,000 students each day, and that number is rapidly increasing.
A good teacher inspires students, but who inspires teachers? If you’re a teacher looking for some extra encouragement to help you connect with your students and foster their intellectual growth, consider the following inspirational quotes about education:
Remember when you were a kid and you had to call a friend, or wait until the next day if you forgot your homework assignment? Whether you are a school administrator or a millennial parent, you probably didn’t have access to the same information as students have today. If your school had a student portal, chances are it lacked sufficient information, was anything but user-friendly, and was rarely updated.